Monday, June 15, 2009

"Penelope"





























"I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as abother and then I put my arms and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes." (U 18.760-768)
I constructed the gray freshwater pearls around the metallic flower (it is unbelievable difficult to locate a rhododendron bead--I guess I will have to mint my own next time!) to represent the Moorish wall of Molly's memory/fantasy and strung pearls that were exotically colored. The "yes" in the necklace is shaped from wire and the key represents just one interpretation of Ulysses's ending: Molly and Bloom together again. This is my favorite piece in this collection. I think it captures some of the beauty of "Penelope."














No comments:

Post a Comment